Author Topic: Privacy issues will come up, just what do we do about socializing virtually?  (Read 582 times)

Offline Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

• WPC Proprietor/Founder
  • Administrator
  • Member Endorsements +1/-0
  • (T)ogether (E)veryone (A)chieves (M)ore
    • Web Presence Consulting
I've been involved in high tech internet surfing since 1983 when we used hardwired land telephone lines to tie computers together remotely, lots of them  :o

People will simply have to consign themselves to accepting that the term privacy means something different now than when I got my first computer dialing others to share shareware software and media files, not to mention the possibility of real time communications on a global scale... Big Brother has been watching us so long it really doesn't matter to me that much anymore, I paid for all the mistakes of past and moved on in positive direction, so far so good coming from a fellow diagnosed with prostate cancer a few months ago...

Here at DCI-forum the member has complete choice and control of tid-bits of information you may have access to share publicly... we've lost track of why this is so fun and addicting with a little bit of high tech training, speed most definitely is addictive...

My computer has evolved into both a tool for my work, but just as importantly as an entertainment center for my liesure time...

Opinions weigh heavily as feedback is the only way things change for the better, feel free to debate where we draw the line of the quality or accuracy of the data being harvested by the bad guys?

What sort of rabbit holes can we explore in a day...??

;)

Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

• WPC Proprietor/Founder
  • Administrator
I put a challenge to those of you who would like to see this site grow, the number one site for the google search term "home theater systems forum" is AVS Forum... we would like to get on that page and maybe even take top spot... there are a couple ways that can happen rather suddenly... some of you will notice a new couple of fields when you are creating or responding to posts, they say "meta keywords" and "meta description" respectively... if you'll copy and paste that four word phrase there before you save your post, and then use the social site sharing tool and share it, but leave that little checkbox just below those two meta fields UNCHECKED... the signs that things are improving are happening as we speak, traffic is way up...

And as an example, do a google search for these terms...

"knoxville webmaster resources forum"
"knoxville webmaster services forum"

BETTER YET, do one for the term "d-cinema systems forum", you should see that AVS is knocked down below us for that term...

keywords have always been the backbone of gaining ranking in the search engines... the search engines respond very well to that social site sharing tool as well, get your message in front of a wider audience with just a few clicks

« Last Edit: Sat April 15, 2017, 03:46:54 AM by Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting »
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

Offline donaldk

Wow on the internet in '83, the first trans-Atlantic email wasn't sent till November 17 1988, via NSF-net. Amsterdam was the first hook-up outside the US. So you we're either an academic, or in the US millitary at the time. Surfing, jumping UUCP lines, I guess;-).

As for online, public, profiles I tend to not complete them, both over privacy concerns and for laziness;-).

Sorry to hear about your illness, I hope to hear good news, take care.

Offline donaldk

No way to automatically include metatags?

• WPC Proprietor/Founder
  • Administrator
Wow on the internet in '83, the first trans-Atlantic email wasn't sent till November 17 1988, via NSF-net. Amsterdam was the first hook-up outside the US. So you we're either an academic, or in the US millitary at the time. Surfing, jumping UUCP lines, I guess;-).

As for online, public, profiles I tend to not complete them, both over privacy concerns and for laziness;-).

Sorry to hear about your illness, I hope to hear good news, take care.

Yea but I should have specified a little more about computers in '83, the internet was not born as we know it now back then, personal computers were just becoming widely available for consumers, we networked by what was known back then as BBS's (bulletin board system) at 1200 baud speeds rapidly increasing that speed to whopping 9600 baud, back then ALL filenames in front of the three character dot extension were REQUIRED to be eight characters or less!!

The first computer I owned came through a correspondence course I was taking in Data Communications in the form of "kits" where I had to build each component and put the computer together from bare bones parts and components... guess what? I still have and use the powered audio speakers that came with that unit  8)
« Last Edit: Sat April 15, 2017, 04:17:56 AM by Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting »
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

• WPC Proprietor/Founder
  • Administrator
No way to automatically include metatags?

Yes, there are already several meta tags by default, the purpose of doing this is that there may be certain keywords & descriptions that are outside the scope of what is automatically associated with your post...  and note not all users have access to the extra meta tag fields, you must reach a predetermined membergroup level first... you can view what meta tags get attached by right clicking anywhere on a blank area of the page you are viewing, then choose "page info" out of the little drop down menu
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

Offline donaldk

Yea but I should have specified a little more about computers in '83, the internet was not born as we know it now back then, personal computers were just becoming widely available for consumers, we networked by what was known back then as BBS's (bulletin board system) at 1200 baud speeds rapidly increasing that speed to whopping 9600 baud, back then ALL filenames in front of the three character dot extension were REQUIRED to be eight characters or less!!

The first computer I owned came through a correspondence course I was taking in Data Communications in the form of "kits" where I had to build each component and put the computer together from bare bones parts and components... guess what? I still have and use the powered audio speakers that came with that unit  8)

Ah Bulletin boards. Did you start with optocouplers, or regular modem? I remember the days. Albeit later, bought the first modem card when they dropped to around 250 guilders in the nineties. Winsock or dos dialers. Dos, Windows 3.11. So, did you use Fido-net? I didn't really, tjough some bulletin boards got files that way. But it offered an e(lectronic)mail option, though you may have switched to Compuserve or similar that started quite early in the US (even earlier than I thought 1978, with email exchange to internet addresses in 1988).

At High school they got a new buidling with a classroom with some PCs, guess what we were the lost generation, we did not get to use those or be tought computerskills. So, I took an introductory class in dos at University. We  got to use disgarded PCs, yup 8086/ or was it 8088 i.e. XTs. They did have an harddrive though so we had to end with park;-). Yup the only computers I ever saw without autopark harddrives, except for the commodore 64 back in '83, as that used compact cassettes. Back then one basically closed the computer with F7. Yup everyone had Wordperfect 5.1 on a 3.5" floppy or the harddrive.

• WPC Proprietor/Founder
  • Administrator
Ah Bulletin boards. Did you start with optocouplers, or regular modem? I remember the days. Albeit later, bought the first modem card when they dropped to around 250 guilders in the nineties. Winsock or dos dialers. Dos, Windows 3.11. So, did you use Fido-net? I didn't really, tjough some bulletin boards got files that way. But it offered an e(lectronic)mail option, though you may have switched to Compuserve or similar that started quite early in the US (even earlier than I thought 1978, with email exchange to internet addresses in 1988).

At High school they got a new buidling with a classroom with some PCs, guess what we were the lost generation, we did not get to use those or be tought computerskills. So, I took an introductory class in dos at University. We  got to use disgarded PCs, yup 8086/ or was it 8088 i.e. XTs. They did have an harddrive though so we had to end with park;-). Yup the only computers I ever saw without autopark harddrives, except for the commodore 64 back in '83, as that used compact cassettes. Back then one basically closed the computer with F7. Yup everyone had Wordperfect 5.1 on a 3.5" floppy or the harddrive.

At the height of my tech setup I had 3 personal computers, 2 286 pentium IBM compatibles, 1 386 (the main server) all peer to peer networked together using thin net cabling... all the hard drives were SCSI controlled along with a 18 disc SCSI CDROM carousel jukebox networked to the main server, the software running on the main server was a paid for package called Galacticomm by a company in florida, all this was available to dial up users to connect on one of 4 "roll over" answer telephone lines with a 9600 baud top of the line modem connected to each line... so with one of the 286's serving as a login terminal and the main server also capable of having a logged session on the system I had the ability to have six people all logged into the system simultaneously... I charged $10 USD a month for paying members, I still have the CD's used in that jukebox which allowed the user to download from my collection of public domain shareware files and applications for Windows XP...
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

anything