Poll

Do most users like seeing and notifying others when our bithday is imminent?

You may only select up to 2 options.

Author Topic: Site Tip/Survey (Poll) about the calendar & map features recently turned on...  (Read 332 times)

Offline Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

• WPC Proprietor/Founder
  • Administrator
  • Member Endorsements +1/-0
  • (T)ogether (E)veryone (A)chieves (M)ore
    • Web Presence Consulting
I notice that many of you have entered a birthdate associated with your profile, it will display when viewing the calendar and if there is a high demand for it I have the ability to display those on the board index page info center for 3 days in advance of the event, if you wish to have a say I will attach a poll to this message, that too has been turned off for quite some time... I will be rotating both display birthday note on index on/off until there is a significant number of member votes in the attached poll, adjusting the settings usually based on the majority for the particular subject of the responses... there is also an automated message to the birthday recipient from everyone here wishing them well but I don't remember when the system sends it, on the first day of the advance notice, or the day of the event?... also note that calendar related holiday notices will be displayed three days in advance on the index page but are separated from any birthday notes that might be displayed...

;)

Ammendment: Have noticed that the forum default theme is such that questions associated with polls do not seem to be visible without using the "[ color =xxxxx ]poll question text "[/ color ]" set of BBC tags on that section of the create/edit page of the poll

It should also be noted that even quests are allowed to vote in surveys/polls here !!   ... it depends on options chosen by author of poll... gotta also figure out how to get the Statistics Page to show the topics most liked title header NOT to display the BBC tags, but the actual link itself goes to correct message...
« Last Edit: Thu April 20, 2017, 02:56:45 PM by Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting »
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

Offline getgray

Re: Site Tip/Survey (Poll) about the calendar feature recently turned on...
« Reply #1 on: Tue April 11, 2017, 07:30:43 PM »
It's unlikely I used my real birthday here but in any case it's sensitive personal info.  One of only a few key building blocks for identity thieves. 

Offline Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

• WPC Proprietor/Founder
  • Administrator
  • Member Endorsements +1/-0
  • (T)ogether (E)veryone (A)chieves (M)ore
    • Web Presence Consulting
Re: Site Tip/Survey (Poll) about the calendar feature recently turned on...
« Reply #2 on: Tue April 11, 2017, 07:54:04 PM »
It's unlikely I used my real birthday here but in any case it's sensitive personal info.  One of only a few key building blocks for identity thieves. 

Good point, but note that the member has total and complete control of whether it gets used here, just blank the fields out in your profile settings and its not displayed anywhere, the date field in the database is a true julian date and difficult to decipher for robots and spiders so most webmasters block spider and robot access to anything that says its a date related or profile related...

Another unrelated point to ponder somewhat but need some feedback about, there is a pretty cool Google Member Map module available and running off and on for a time too ...again the privacy issue will arise, but again I say its totally optional... and it is not necessary to pinpoint the location to exact street address, as with profile birth dates, no one says it must be the correct date,.. mine is, but the pin I set for member map is not precise location... one main philosophic difference in networking sites and forum platform type websites such as what we have here is... its basic design is for people's posts and profiles to impact a wide audience and socialize virtually... also changed the poll to allow a single member or guest to make two selections for responding to a vote and can be changed at any time 24/7/365...

::)
« Last Edit: Wed April 12, 2017, 05:45:34 AM by Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting »
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard